S3 E17 The Law of Sacrifice

InkGypsy
Administrator
“The queen was terrified and offered the little man all the riches of the kingdom, if only he would leave the newborn child alone.”
I did NOT expect to feel as much for Adalind as I did. She's been just.. a witch. Pretty much the whole time. She did say some pretty manipulative and 'undearing' things to Renard & Nick & Juliet in the episode - all manipulation and greed but when it came to the baby part, her growing attachment to the child somewhere morphed into 100% protectiveness and Mama Bear behavior - which, frankly, makes her so very human. Giving up raising your child - by your own choice -is one thing and that's no small sacrifice. But having your child taken away? I would do my best to rip the world apart if that happened to me and Adalind has a good chance of doing just that. Renard is going to be in mortal danger now - the set up for the next season is very twisty...
An interesting thing though: in Rumpelstiltskin, I always disliked the miller's daughter and her father. Although he was just out for money and there's a good chance she was bullied/abused into going through with what her father promised, she ends up with the awful, awful king and then seems to take on some of his persona. (Note: I'm not saying Rumpelstiltskin isn't without manipulation, guile and a touch of evil either - perhaps he was, perhaps he wasn't but the miller's daughter has her own issues and things to answer for.) In this Grimm episode though, I've seen Adalind, for whom I've had a profound dislike and wariness in general (love to hate her, you know?) because every time she's shown a little redeeming factor she shatters it with completely horrific Hexenbiest (sp?) backlash. But seeing her grow attached to her kid and become protective even though she's losing much more than she's gaining in doing so (power wise particularly) I'm wondering if maybe she's a bit more like the miller's daughter than not, which makes her bargaining with the  little man in an underhanded manner, more acceptable to me, rather than just a snobby show of power and keeping what is hers. Perhaps she found the one thing it was finally worth breaking every moral code for. Because I, as a mother who did not expect to become so attached to her child but has, completely understand this. Makes me wish I were a little Hexenbiest so that should any one ever look at my kid wrong, they would have more than their car windows shattered...

PS I like Mama Burkhart a lot more now too.
Once Upon A Blog... fairy tale news